cutest blog

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Summer Kick-Off

Our summer kicked off with a little weekend camping trip to Wrightwood. I had reserved/requested to be off that weekend and had promised myself I'd camp by myself if I had to. As the days came closer I almost talked myself out of it. Literally the night before I decided I'd at least give it a shot but I went looking for a campsite totally unprepared. I had to barrow a tent from my sister to reserve our spot and drive all the way home, pack up, and race the sun back to the campground. This was a pretty epic campout as it was the first I've ever been on without my dad, husband, or leader other than myself. It was just me and the boys. Josh brought his friend Mac. Jacob and I got a little creeped out that night and I had a pretty weird dream but we survived! Jason came up and I managed to convince him to stay with us another two nights.
 Jacob, sleeping pretty sound even without an air mattress and while I rustled around our little tent bright and early.
 Oh how I love to camp and to smell the mountain air, especially early in the morning. I can't even tell you how happy it makes me.
 This was the 10th Memorial Day since Mom passed away. Her ashes are spread on this mountain top. Sshh! Don't tell. I know her spirit is in Heaven and that it is reunited with her perfect body. However, I can't help but imagine her looking out over the valley and over us. I didn't want to mourn this year. I just wanted to celebrate by creating new memories with my family.
I scored a $10 camp stove with two replacement propane tanks at the traditional Wrightwood yardsales. So we made hot chocolate and I may have eaten my weight in s'mores and marshmallows. It had been a while and man did they taste good! The next day we had a hot breakfast courtesy of my poor fasting (juicing) husband. 

Josh, Mac, and I took a little hike.
 My brothers family came up one night to join us for dinner, campfire, and a little lizard hunting.
 The boys caught a blue tailed skink. I just love my brothers face in this picture. My boys are amateur lizard hunters but boy were they excited to watch Uncle Skip and cousin Cole stomp through the bushes to catch this little bugger.

On Monday we had a family BBQ at my nephew Jesse's house. Overall I'd have to say, one of my favorite camping trips to date! It was just so fun. The packing in and out is never any fun and I'm definitely not a fan of the midnight treks to the toilet but I so enjoy the scenery, the relaxing parts, and creating new memories.

No comments: