cutest blog

Sunday, April 5, 2009

One Big 'Ol Road Trip

This is a really long, picture filled blog...for a really long, eventful road trip. Jason had decided a while back that he wanted the family to take a trip towards Indiana where his BFF lives. We have never really traveled as a family before. At least not in any way like this trip. Our trip began very well. We left Boron around 6:30 pm and Jason drove through the night to Moriarty New Mexico. This is where we were stopped from traveling the 40 because of a blizzard in the pan handle of Texas. We had heard that the road could be closed until 10 pm at least if it opened at all the next day. we had also heard that the storm that had covered much of the country had moved from the north and was going south. So, we decided to re-route up north. Little did we know that as we began this little adventure we'd end up adding about 500 miles and 7 hours to our trip. It is hard to see in the picture below, but the blue highlighted area on the map is the majority of our re-routes (x4!), up into Kansas and then I highlighted orange again the last 7-8 hours into Branson, Missouri.(Above) Icy picture #1 is some place in Oklahoma, or Kansas...it's pretty hard to tell. Much of our trip there was flat and covered in snow. Picture #2 is just out of Wichita Kansas. We had stayed there because the roads got too Icy and slippery by the time we got there at around 10:30 pm. Jason was driving about 15 mph over an icy bridge when he finally decided to call it a night. This was day #2 of the trip. We should have been there by then if things had gone better. The trees and literally everything else was covered in ice. Hundreds of power/phone lines were down and broken in half because of the weight of the ice on the wires! But...we made it!! Day #3 and all together about 30 hours of driving. Other than a few arguments here and there the kids did suprisingly well and actually never really complained about the drive. Amazing!
The Resort
View from the balcony. When we weren't out and about, the kids played and played on the ball courts and in the rec room. They loved it and slept quite well.

Monday we rode the Ducks. A tour through/of Branson via an old amphibious military vehicle that eventually made its way into the Table Rock Lake. The kids all got to captain the floating Duck, and have certificates to prove it.

Girlie Ducks.

Branson tour atop the Peak of Branson...checking out some antique military vehicles and the lake.



Floating duckie boys


Captain Jacob


Captain Laynah and Captain Clyde

Captain Josh

Quackin' Cliffords & Fealys


Next is all about Tuesday (my last day in Branson). Old Time Photos, Inspiration Tower, and The Butterfly Palace and Rainforest.


The 250 ft glass elevator to the top.






The Butterfly Palace was so cool...





So this was about the end of my trip. Jason had to take me to the airport Wed. morning so I could work Thurs, Fri, Sat. He took me about 45 minutes out of the way too to Taco Johns a fast food place that we found in Blue Springs, MO. I had worked at a Taco Johns for 2 years when I lived in Nebraska. Nice guy huh? Oh, the things he does to make me happy. I'm not sure it was worth the drive but good anyways. I ordered half the menu to get my fill since I'm sure I won't be back...lol. So maybe that was my problem but my stomach kinda hurt the whole flight home. Below is a place we drove by on our Taco Johns detour that we both really liked. Missouri was very pretty. I think I could live there. Jason said the same as we drove by this place.


WILD WOODYs' ....Whoo hoo! There was like 6 of these in Branson. I did get to ride this before I left, but everything pictured next is what I missed :o( with them. Including the long ride in the Civic home.

Daddys girl...

Dinosaur Museum & Haunted House

Laynah & Jason wanted Stateline pictures one the way there but only got the way home.
Bye, Missouri...

Bye, Oklahoma...

Bye, Texas...


Bye, New Mexico...
Bye, snowy Arizona...and Arizona Rocks...

Bye, Arizona...Hello, California. Laynah wants to know why our sign is so boring! LOL

What a busy, eventful, stressful, unforgetable, exciting, and fun trip. Sorry for such a long blog, hope it wasn't too bad. I'm so thankful we got to go and with or without the chaos it started with...it was so worth it!



12 comments:

Johnson's said...

Hey Misty, I don't even know if you remember me but this is
Brandee Johnson (Boren). You little girl has gotten so big. I don't think you had your boys when I moved away. Anyways I had to comment because my parents Dave and Jan Boren don't live very far away from Branson. I also have been on the Ducks ride and I wanted to go on the go carts you guys went on but didn't get a chance. We hope that we can eventually move by my parents.

Kristi said...

I'm glad you guys had fun and didn't die in the blizzard. I felt a little piece of that here in Phelan with that huge snow storm. I was doing 5 mph down the road and almost spun out! I hate the snow....x5!

Trena said...

What a fun trip! I didn't know Charlie moved so far away!

Kara said...

That looked like a lot of fun. I bet Laynah was the diligent photographer after you flew home. I remember going on one last big family trip when I was 17. That's so great for Layner!

Fealyclan said...

You know one other thing about the trip is that although we got detoured so many times we had sunny clear weather the whole way out. I guess we were literally following the wake of the storm and would just get there after the storm had frozen the roadways.


Oh and yes I do remember the Borens tell them hi, Brandee. :o)

Fealyclan said...

You know one other thing about the trip is that although we got detoured so many times we had sunny clear weather the whole way out. I guess we were literally following the wake of the storm and would just get there after the storm had frozen the roadways.


Oh and yes I do remember the Borens tell them hi, Brandee. :o)

Deborah said...

We went to Branson last year on spring break. Stayed in a real nice time share. We didn't do all the fun things you did but did get to do some things. It rained alot of the time we were there but our trips both ways were good.(very long but good). Where did you fly out of? I had to take Dave to the airport also because he had college class. He flew out of Kansas City.

Susanna Landon said...

How fun. I am glad you all had a good time.

Fealyclan said...

Yeah, I flew out of Kansas City also.

Johnson's said...

Misty, I'm glad you remember me. I told my parents you said Hi and they said to say hi back. So yes the Bucks are my realitives (Elsa and Ron. Ron is my mom's brother. I thought they lived in like North Edward, but maybe they don't. So what brought you out there? I remember going out there to visit and I remember is was out in the middle of no where.

Fealyclan said...

Yeah, Bandee they are in No. Edwards...maybe even areal acres which ich is just a few miles out of No. Edwards. Sis. Buck is very nice. They are good people.
We moved out here after my mom passed away because buying my mom and dads house wasn't working out and houses in the VV area were too expensive.

Natalie said...

How awesome!!! I loved the old photos and the butterfly palace! I bet the boys loved the dino and haunted house. Glad you guys had a great time with little arguments!

Oh, and I didn't know you lived in Nebraska. Jeremy served his mission there (Omaha).