cutest blog

Monday, April 23, 2012

A Little Project

I don't know if I'd go as far as saying this little project of mine is an up-cycle. However, I did have a little fun trying. I have wanted a chest to fit under our wall mounted T.V. in the front room. Since my father-in-law has been living out of a duffel bag that sits on my couch(es) several days of the week I thought he should have a dresser to put things away. So, when I found this dresser at the Thrift store I thought it would be perfect for both purposes.
My boys were pretty helpful unloading it from the back of my mile long Flex and taking it apart. They're pretty good at rooting me on too.
I really wanted to pick a bright pretty color that would match the ideas in my head. I'm terrible at picking colors though and when I started applying the green I bought I realized it was much too bright so I had to improvise. It turned out weird and nothing like I'd imagined but I kept thinking it might look better in the house.
 Then my husband and daughter told me how they really felt. Nicely put, "it's ugly!" and not going to be the first thing people see coming in the front door. Oh my man! Crush my soul! haha...secretly I agreed. I was ready to just live with it though. I had a blister on my finger and a sore forearm for two days.
So, I let Jacob put his signature touches on the backside. Oh how I love that kid.

 Today I finished. It's not great. Not even close but I think it looks better than it did and will serve it's purpose just fine. Buzz kill...I can't find one of the knobs now. Great! We can't afford all the fabulous furniture and things I imagine in our home so I'm making do and being creative. I really don't like the brown. It's not what I had in mind at all but it's ok for now and it's what I had available.
The desk in the background is next. Let's hope I've learned a little and it will be more of what I have pictured in my mind.

2 comments:

Nana said...

I think it looks good. Much better than the green! Kudos for trying and making things nice for Larry. We really appreciate it!

Fealyclan said...

:) I think it's growing on me. I just need to get it in the house. We like having him here. I just want to get him a bed so he doesn't have to sleep in the boys' room or on the couch.