cutest blog

Monday, June 21, 2010

Happy Farters (oops)...I mean Fathers Day!!

First of all, I must pay tribute to the one I think is the best father in the world...that would of course, be my dad. I think the greatest thing about my dad is the love I've always known he's had for my mom. She may be gone but his love for her is not. We used to have a little plaque in our house growing up that read, "The Greatest Thing a Father can do for His Children is Love Their Mother". I've always totally recognized my dad as being the reason that plaque was ever made. I think it rings so true. My parents of course had their issues just like every other marriage but no matter what, I always knew they loved each other and not just for us kids but for each other. My dad was always the "hunter, gatherer, protector" kind of dad and still holds fast to those values. He has also been the repair man, rescuer, adventurer, creator kind of dad. I've always thought of him as the guy that had the answers to most if not all, of my questions and solutions to my problems. I might not have always liked the answer or the solution but I'd at least know he had one. He always taught us to have have an appreciation for the land we live in and the creatures we share it with, big and small. My dad was known to bring some of those little creatures home for me to care for from baby bunnies he'd found under a transformer at work to little grey trap door spiders. He is a BIG man with a big spirit and a big voice but always had the gentle touch needed to teach me how to care for those little creatures or ease my troubles and fears. I love my dad and I'm so thankful for the man that he is. I'm thankful for his humor and stories, his voice (especially in song), and for his love and strength in our Heavenly father. I will always be grateful for the power of the priesthood I felt in my home growing up. I'm thankful for the honor and regard he held for church callings he'd recieve. I'm thankful for all the Father's, priesthood blessings and PPI's (personal priesthood interviews). We might not have always had a set "family home evening" with a lesson and all but we certainly had plenty of family evenings in and out of our home. I have a life time of memories, laughter, tears, and adventure thanks to my dad. As I told him the other day, I may not say it enough and there really is no Hallmark card to say all things I feel, but I love and respect him so much.

They say that little boys grow up trying to find wives that are a little like their moms and that little girls tend to look towards their dad when trying to pick a husband. I'm not really sure how true that is for my husband...I'm nothing like his mom...but for me, I found someone I could love and admire the way that I do my dad. I found someone with a mammoth sized heart for me and our children and just as much strength and intelligence. I might not have known it or truely appreciated what I had found in him in the beginning but as our family has grown and as the years pass, I'm positive that I've found the love of my life and the perfect father for my kids. We may not always see eye to eye as far as the kids are concerned but I have no doubt that his intentions and wishes for them are the best. Our connections to each of our kids are different but his are most definately intense. He is the big, strong daddy with most of the answers that our kids can grow up trying to be like. He definately brings laughter and interest to our lives as well as protection, and security. He's definately the kind of man I'd want my daughter to marry. He may not openly share it, get up and speak about it at the pulpit, or even "preach" it to our kids but he has an amazing testimony of the Gospel and the highest respect and love for our Heavenly Father. When he does open up or is "forced" to write it down he typically can blow my mind. I'm so thankful for him and for all that he is to me and for our family.
I'm so thankful for the two most amazing and important dads in my life. To them, I hope Fathers Day was all they wished for or wanted it to be. I know this is a little late but I wish them a very Happy Fathers Day today (yesterday) and everyday. I'm also thankful for all the other dads who are so present in the lives of their families and to my mother and father in law for making my husband the man that he is.

No comments: